Feed Cows for $60 - $100 per ton
Feeding sprouts is more affordable than feeding grain or hay. Sprouts can be grown for as little as $0.03 - $0.05 per lb. Start saving on your feed bill with FodderTech.
Feeding FodderTech Sprouts to Beef Cows
Fresh sprouts grown in a FodderTech system offer nutritional advantages for beef cattle. FodderTech sprouts enable the digestive system of ruminants to process food much more efficiently than grain. Growing sprouts in a FodderTech system gives access to fresh grass year round regardless of the weather.
Feeding sprouts to beef cows offers benefits including:
- Fast, natural weight gain
- Helps to drought proof a farm
- Produce a consistent feed for consistent flavor
- Increase enzymatic activity in cows
- Reduce feed costs
- Natural hormones, amino acids, omega 3, beta-carotenes, and other beneficial substances
Advantages Feeding Sprouts
Feeding sprouts to beef cattle has been observed to cause:
- Better marbling in meat
- Increased fertility rates
- Improved coat shine and body condition
- Excellent herd health and well being
- Decreased mortality rates
Beef Feeding Results
A herd of 100 pasture-based friesian bulls were tested in a third-party, controlled feeding trial over a 12 week period. 50 cows were fed hay, pasture, and grain while 50 cows were fed hay, pasture, and sprouts. Here are the results from the sprout fed group:
- 41% Faster daily weight gain
- 27% Lower feed cost per lb of gain
- 23% Less dry matter consumed
- 0% annualized cull rate vs. 17%
A 6th generation Texas rancher incorporates sprouts into his feeding practices. Read more...
A California beef grower reported the following 'We were paid $2 per lb live weight for sprout fed steers vs. $0.90 per lb for siblings that did not receive sprouts.'